Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Questions 4 for IPT 301

1. If you were asked in a job interview to describe four ways you would promote emotional intelligence within your classroom, how would you respond?

-I would first try to promote emotional understanding in my class. When a student is feeling angry or sad, I would want to explain to my class the reason why so that the rest of the students can understand why their peer feels the way they do
-the second thing I would try to do is respond correctly to student’s emotions. Sometimes teachers are quick to judge a child’s emotion that is causing problems as something negative. I would want to get to the point where I could step back and figure out why the child is feeling that way rather then going with the first impulse that comes to my mind.
-The third thing I do would be to try to teach the children emotional regulation. For example, when one of my students gets mad at their peer, I would want to encourage them to respond in a positive way using words like “please don’t do that because it hurts” rather then having them give in to their first emotion and just hit their peer.
-Last of all, I would want to keep my own emotions under control and try to keep them in a positive form so that my students will be able to have a good learning experience with a teacher who is positive.

2. Which theory, the Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence Theory or Sternberg’s Theory of successful intelligence, do you see as more useful to you as a teacher? Why?

-For me, Gardner’s theory seems to be more useful. The fact that Gardener has eight intelligences in his theory really appeals to me. There are a lot of people that are not good in certain areas of school such as English and math. But according to Gardener, if you are bad at these, you are only lacking in one intelligent rather then overall. With this knowledge, you can say to yourself that you may not be good in that one intelligent, but that means you are stronger in other areas of intelligent. With this view, it is easier to keep a positive view on things since you can say you are only lacking in one area, but not necessary in life.

3. What is your opinion on the usefulness of IQ testing?

-To me, it seems that IQ testing is too limited. Although you may be able to get a pretty good idea of how smart a student is through IQ testing, I believe that there are to many things happening in peoples lives that can change there IQ (for better or for worst) very easily. Because of this, I do not believe IQ is probably the best test to use to find out how smart a person is.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the IQ tests, yesterday Camila and I were doing this assignment and we came out with the same conclusion, A child’s intelligence should not be determined by a single test score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your response to the first question. It sounds as if you really want to create an environment geared toward emotional maturity. It was also quite enlightening to read about your desire for self reflection and self regulation. It is so important that we model for our students what we are trying to teach them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete